Sunday, February 10, 2008

Feel just like home...

When I spotted these longan fruit, or dragon eye, as we called them in China.

I didn't see any fresh longan fruit for sale for all the six years in the US. Lychee maybe, but a only couple of times I think. Of course I weren't at any place with a big Chinese population.

Canberra doesn't have a big Chinese population either. But it certainly feels more at home from time to time. Asian spices and vegetables are common in an Australian grocery store, but in the US you have to go to an Asian store for them.

The other day I even found "Best before ( a certain shelf date)" in Chinese on yogurt container. I don't think that happens in Los Angelas or New York city.

On the other hand something that I miss from the US is Mexican food. There are boxed tortilla and bottled salsa for sale, and that's pretty much it. Where can I found fresh corn tortillas or canned black beans or chips made of blue corn?

Sigh.

One cannot be too greedy I guess. At least avocado is everywhere.

No comments: