Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Ours" vs "Yours & My"

MM and I had an interesting discussion regarding money last night. Here is MM's side of story and below is my perspective:

1) My logic is "the host takes care of everything". To accept "pocket money" from my parents is entirely for the sake of convenience. It was stressful to withdraw money from my US bank accounts in China before and our lives will be much easier if getting a "loan" from my parents, which will be paid back when they come to visit us next year.

2) Nobody is calculating how much exactly we have to pay back. My guess is we'll spend more when my parents visiting, which is what I want to do anyway.

I agree my family and Moom's family have different attitudes as MM mentioned. In my family things seem to be a lot fuzzier. There is no such thing called "yours & my" and everything is pretty much "ours". It seems to me in China the minimum unit of survival is a family not an individual, and this obviously remains the case after the younger generation got married even living at the other side of the earth :)

MM's mind, obviously operates within the "yours & my" framework, and that is why he doen't feel comforable in spending my parents' money. I am not saying who is right and how is wrong. We're only different and our discussion will continue until we reach a point where we both feel warm and fuzzy :)

No comments: