Sunday, January 20, 2008

Book review: In a sunburned country by Bill Bryson

This is the first book I read this year. As stated in my 2008 resolutions, I am supposed to read a book every couple of weeks.

Frankly I cheated a little (what a start!). It was a re-read. I purchased this book to read on my flight from the US to Australia. But life has been chaotic in the past four months and all I remembered about the book was, "it worths reading again sometimes."

I am happy I did. This time I have more knowledge about this country to resonate with Bryson. OZland is not an abstract concept anymore. I, too, was burned by the sun, harassed by flies, and touched by Australians. Now I have a better idea on what he was yarning about.

Bryson is a good story teller. He blended historical facts, serious thoughts, and travel anecdotes seamlessly throughout 300 pages of the book. Once in a while/several pages there would be something to make you smile or even laugh out loud. My favorite joke, by the way, was when he "complained" how slow a cricket game could be.

Not only did he make me laugh, I also found myself taking notes. He described places like Uluru and a corner of Eastern Victoria with such a passion that I feel I have to visit them sometimes.
Also on my list there are books to check out and issues to dive in. Political systems in Australia, for example, was bewildering for Bryson (No wonder he got some facts wrong, according to MM. Bryson said voting in Northern Territory is mandatory but the votes don't count?) and for me as well. Another is the Aboriginals issues. At least at the time when Bryson was touring around, anything aboriginal seemed to be a taboo. White people were reluctant to talk about it at all. The author found out in a place where the White and the Aboriginals did coexitst, they saw each other as transparent as if they each occupied a different universe.

Bryson, however, managed to mingle with the Australians and delivered a sense of appreciation throughout the book. As tough as traveling in an unknown country could get, he enjoyed himself and had fun in telling us his stories. This is the best thing of the book for me.

Things I don't like the book? Not much, though his comments about Canberra is not very fair (Canberra--Gateway to everywhere else!). But he came almost ten years ago. Even today some of my colleagues who just moved here complain how boring the city is compared to Sydney/Melbourne/Perth. But those who live here long enough say "Canberra got everything." So perhaps everything here is a hidden jewel and it takes time for outsiders to dig them out?

In summary Sunburned Country is an "edutaining" book and I enjoyed it. There is at least one other travel book of Australia on my t0-read list. Let's wait and see how the country is like in others' account...

No comments: